Director of Music Ministry
St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church
1101 E. High St.
Pottstown, PA 19464
Provide organ/piano music for two Sunday worship services; schedule and lead regular rehearsals for chancel, handbell and children's choir. Provide music for other seasonal services (and weddings and funerals when available, or find a substitute). Plan weekly hymns and liturgies in communication with Pastor. Submit music and copyright information to church office for weekly bulletin. Purchase music and supplies; prepare and manage budget and supervise maintenance of instruments. Sanctuary instruments: 3- manual Moller organ, 58 ranks (10 Allen digital sounds, rebuilt with solid state equipment); Mason and Hamlin 7-foot grand piano; Yamaha digital piano. This is a part-time position.
For the job description, go to www.stjamespottstown.org.
To apply or ask questions, contact Annette Renn, Music Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title: Director of Music Ministries
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide leadership, integrity and creativity to the program; maintain professional competency.
2. Provide organ/piano music for 2 Sunday morning worship services, and other seasonal services such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Wednesdays in Lent, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. Secure a substitute when needed.
3. Provide music for weddings and funerals when available, or secure a substitute when necessary.
4. With the Pastor, plan worship (communicating hymns and liturgy) and providing music and copyright information to the church office in a timely manner for bulletin, newsletter, website, etc.
5. Schedule and lead regular rehearsals for chancel, hand bell and children's choirs. Chancel choir participates in weekly worship, September through May; the others participate monthly.
6. Coordinate music for monthly Rejoicing Spirits worship with worship team leaders.
7. Seek out, and take advantage of various events, resources and ideas that will enhance the program, including inviting outside musicians to play during worship.
8. Recruit, educate and train singers and musicians participating in the music programs, providing an atmosphere of learning, encouragement and mutual support.
9. Secure necessary licenses for music reproduction and performance; complete reporting of such and provide information to the office administrator.
10. Maintain the music library and supervise the maintenance of all instruments (organ, pianos, keyboard, hand bells, etc.)
11. Determine and submit an annual budget for the music programs, and administrate expenditures of the approved budget.
12. Purchase all music and music supplies required to make possible a music ministry that honors God.
13. Attend regular staff meetings.
AVERAGE HOURS PER WEEK: 10-15